The main civilian project of the early years of quattrocento was an unlimited cathedral, which eventually began in Trent and continued with each other during the fourteenth century. In early 1367, its architects could imagine a very high dome to expand the vast interior space, but lacked in knowing how to make engineering. While the interest to complete the cathedral was revived around 1407, a young sculptor-personified architect, Filippo Brunelleschi, found a technical solution to key early Renaissance artists in Florence. Brunelleschi's pagan career ended with the failure of failing to compete in the 1402 competition to design a new bronze door for Baptistry, next to the Florence Cathedral. Brunelleschi played the role as an assistant on the project and traveled to Rome, perhaps with his sculptor friend Donatello, where he studied Roman architecture and sculpture. Brunelleschi's, whose father was involved in the original plans for the dome in 1367, advised to build the first long drum or cylindrical support. The drum was completed in 1410, and in 1417 Brunelashchi was dealt with to design the dome. Work started in 1420 and was completed by 1471. Revolutionary engineering of engineering, the dome is the double shell of Masonry that connects Gothic and Renaissance elements. Gothic construction is based on pointed arch, using a stone shaft or rib, to support the vault, or the roof. The octagonal outer shell is essentially such a structure, supported on ribs and point-arc profiles; However, like the Roman domes, it is cut to the top with the oculus and is compensated by the lantern, the refreshing structure made from Roman architectural forms.
The dome will use 138 feet of diameter to make expensive and dangerous concentrations. Therefore, Brunelleschi designed the building materials to make essential machinery and invented an intelligent system through which each part of the structure was strengthened in the next part, such as the course of the dome or the layer was created by the course. The reinforcement elements were vertical marble ribs and horizontal sandstone rings attached to the iron rod, in which the rib was fully constructed with oak staves and beams. Exterior and exterior shells were also built internally by plains. When completed, no external support is needed to keep this automated unit stable.