Alabama State Capitol, listed on the National Register of historic places as the first federal capitol, is the capital city of Alabama located on Capitol Hill, Goat Hill in Montgomery, which was declared National Historic Landmark on December 19, 1960.
During its history Alabama has five political capitals. The first was the regional capital of St. Stephens in 1817, followed by the first "permanent capital" in Cahaba in 1820 after a state assembly in Huntsville in 1819. It was then moved to Tuscaloosa in the new three-storey building in 1826, until 1846 when Montgomery rested. 1826 State House later became the home of Alabama Central Female College, which was burned in 1923 and now becomes a ruin within Capitol Park. The current structure is the fourth-purpose Capitol building in the state, in which the first in Cahaba, the second in Tuscaloosa, and the last two in Montgomery. The first capital building in Montgomery, where the building is currently under construction, has been burned only after two years. The existing building was completed in 1851; however, the extra wings were added in the following 140 years.
The current Capitol building temporarily served as Confederate Capitol, when Montgomery began its stay in Richmond, Virginia as the first political capital of the United States of America in 1861. The meeting in the Senate Chamber, the unremitting constitution of the federal states was prepared on 4 February 1861 by the Montgomery Convention. The convention was adopted on 11 March 1861 in this convention. After one hundred years, the march of the marble on the third Selma from Montgomery March Capitol ended, in which the marches and the events surrounding them led directly to the polling rights law of 1965.
Architecturally, the building has a Greek resurgence in style with some Beaux-Arts influences. The central center of the house, as well as the front wing of the structure, has three floors on the lower wing basement. There are two stories on the below-grade basement of the north and south wings.