The Urbino Court was an outstanding artistic center under the protection of Federico da Montefeltro, who actively searched the best artists of the day to come to Urbino. In 1468, after failing to find the construction of the new Ducal Palace, starting with Tuscan 1450, Federico hired an already included assistant to the project, Luciano Laurana to direct the project. In the main contribution of Laurana's, the courtyard with the fourth wing was closed and redesigned the courtyard facade.
The result is a legendary rational solution for problems with the courtyard elevation design. Ground-level ports on each side are supported by columns; Corner corners are packed with piers, which keep the column on the sides of the arcade and on the coal-fired pilasters. This arrangement avoided the unpredictable visual effect of the two arches rising from the same column, and gave a more sense of stability to the angles.
The consolidated capital was probably used for the first time at the ground level. In the story above the Corinthian pilasters, the windows revolve, which build the sections that reproduce the base of the portico. The simple architrave faces were identified with the inscriptions that recognized Federico and praised many of his humanistic qualities. Not visible in the picture is an innovative feature that has become standard in the design of the palace courtyard: the grand stairs from the courtyard to the main floor.