By 1559, when he settled in Venice, Palladio was one of Italy's leading architects. In about 1566 he undertook a major architectural commission: San Giorgio Maggiore's Church on the Venetian islet of San Giorgio. Its creation towards the traditional Basilica-plan elevation for the Renaissance - a huge level forward towards the nave and side aisles, the large level raised by the narrow front for naval clustery - is the height of ingenuity. Inspired by the solution of Sant'Andrea Leon Battista Alberti's, the Palladio created an illusion of two temple fronts of different heights and width, which was a set within each other.
At the center, the high pedestals, or the grand association on the base, are an entablature and pediment that supports the front of the narrow cluster level of the church. The lower "Temple Front", which covers the roof of triple-aisle and the roof of the slanted Side-Eisel, include the lilar clusters, behind the pillars of the front posts and the pilasters supporting the pendim. Palladiums maintain the composition of the Alberti's of quarterly arch entry although the facade was not created after the architect's death, its original design was followed.
The interior of San Giorgio is a fine example of Palladium's symmetric balanced geometry, shown here in strong verticals and powerful arcs. The shortened pairs of high stakes and naval arcade pilasters echo the two levels of the order on the facade, thus integrating the outer and exterior of the building.