Carved in the Desert cliffs, Petra is located in the southwestern region of Amman about 185kms into Jordan. Its lavish baroque architecture attracts people from all over the planet. Until it was raided by Romanians in 106A.D, Petra was a capital city of Nabataeans (the ones having a strong caravan trade). The wealthy men of the city worshiped the sun and believed in the mythology of the sun. The earliest mention of these people is from 312 B.C., when they apparently withstood an assault by Antigonus, one of Alexander the Great's successors. These people are believed to have lived a nomad life, where the architecture of the city was very simple and clean.
The changes were totally dependent on the trade by the caravans. They traded with Petra serving as a center of trade between Arabia, Mesopotamia, Egypt and the eastern Mediterranean. In time, after the Roman annexation, the caravan trade petered out. Although the city was occupied in the Middle Ages, it was hit by a series of earthquakes and was eventually abandoned. The city was rediscovered by Johann Ludwig Burckhardt in 1812 and till date, it is world’s most attractive site. Nor it is under the "Canyon of the Crescent Moon" neither does it has any relation with the location of the Holy Grail. The civilized people in the history built this beautiful stone-hewn city, so the sun can burst inside and illuminate their sacred places like celestial spotlights, a new study says.
"The facades of Petra are not only beautiful in themselves, but they also show something additional," said study leader Juan Antonio Belmonte, an archaeoastronomer at the Institute of Astrophysics of the Canary Islands (IAC).
Fact and fiction on the architecture of Petra:
The Nabataeans great artwork on Petra stands out and is now one amongst World heritage site. The temple is 35.5 x 42.5 meters, making it 1508.75 square meters, the huge one standing freely on the soils of Jordan. Various columns and walls of the temple are mustered with red, yellow and white colors, usually found in Greek architecture. The actual temple was a minimum of 19 to 20 meters in height; its porch is tetrastyle in antis with wide central columns and a pair of interior columns 5 meters beyond those of the porch. Each column supports the cella and the smaller ones support the walls of the cella. To the east of the Great Temple was a lower terrace long thought to be Petra’s Agora but recent excavations have revealed that it was a large pool and garden complex. At the center of this rock terrace was a pool measuring 43 x 23 meters and was 2.5 meters deep; it also included an island pavilion that was 11.5 x 14.5 meters. Right then they found they found a lot of beautifully carved marbles and lime-stones when the pavilion was discovered. This is a proof that Petra was wealthy in all ways. For the drainage and water to be directed aqua-ducts, piping, and even shallow basins placed so that sand and silt would be filtered. Not only this but several figures decorate this piece of god.