The Denver Art Museum (DAM) is an art museum located in the Civic Center of Denver, Colorado. This museum is the largest art museum between West Coast and Chicago. It is known for its collection of American Indian art and for its collection of over 70,000 different works of centuries and the world.
The origin of the museum can be traced back to the establishment of the Denver Artists Club in 1893. The club changed its name to the Denver Art Association in 1917 and two years later opened its first galleries in the city and county building. The museum opened the galleries in Chapel House in 1922. The building situated on Logan Street was donated to the museum by Mrs. George Cranmer and Delos Chappell. In 1923, the Denver Art Association became the Denver Art Museum.
In 1948, DMA bought a house on Acoma and 14th Avenue on the south side of the Civic Center Park. The Denver Architect Burnham Hall was reconstructed by the building, which opened in 1949 as a Schleier Memorial Gallery. When the Schleier Gallery was a significant addition, the DMA still sought to increase its space. Additional pressure came from the Kress Foundation, who offered to donate three collections worth more than $ 2 million to the DM on condition of building a new building. The DMA sought the help of city and county Denver to raise funds, however, in 1952 voters failed to approve a resolution bond. Despite this disturbance, the museum continued to raise funds and finally opened the new Wing, South Wing in 1954. This allows DAM to get three cress foundation collections.