Thirumalai Nayak Palace is a 17th century palace built in 1636 by Raja King Thirumalai Nayak of the Nayaka dynasty of Madurai in 1636 AD, which ruled Madurai during 1623-59 in the city of Madurai, India. This palace is a classic fusion of Dravidian and Rajput styles. The building which can be seen today was the main palace, in which the king lived. The original Palace complex was four times more than the current structure. In its summer, the palace was considered one of the wonders of the South. This palace is located 2 km south east of Meenakshi Amman Temple.
The heroes of Madurai ruled this former kingdom from 1545 to 1740s, and Thirumalai Nayak was one of his great kings, which is significant for various buildings around and around Madurai. During the 17th century, there were Portuguese, Dutch and other European merchants, missionaries, and visitors in the Madurai Empire. During the 400 years, many parts of buildings suffered a lot in time, and incompatible with the devastating effects of war. However, during the time of some East India Company, repairs used by garage as garrison, store-house, powder magazine, is sufficiently repaired.
Raja Thirumalai Nayak’s grandson had demolished most beautiful structures to build his palace in Tiruchirapalli and removed most of the jewels and woodcarvings. However, Lord Napier, governor of Madras, partially restored the palace in 1866-72, and then several years ago the restoration work was done; today we will see entrance gate, the main hall and dance hall.